Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day Three:

I've heard when in rains in NYC, it pours, and that's exactly what happened. However, I was completely determined not to let the rain ruin the whole day. 

We had lunch at J. G. Melon on the Upper East Side. Best turkey burger I've ever had.

Next stop, Grand Central Station


Chills crawled up my arms as we hopped off the subway and entered this delightfully famous place. I walked to the middle, twirled around in a circle, and wished desperately that I could walk through this place every day.
It was just as glorious as I had hoped it would be.
We got cupcakes from a delicious bakery and
ate them while in Grand Central Station.
Being in such a wonderful place while eating something
so enjoyable was truly the icing on the cake :-)


We called it a day, and went back to the apartment and got ready for the big dinner party that night. 

Truthfully, I was a little intimidated when getting ready for the dinner. I had been told that we would be eating with the owner of a very large corporate furniture business. Like Pat around the prestigious Blake Thomson, I aimed at getting dolled up hoping to find acceptance through the clothes and jewelry I adorned myself with. 
The people at the dinner ended up being completely accepting, humble, and encouraging. Unlike Pat's relationship with Blake, I wasn't let down by the actions of these high society individuals.

Thankfully, it stopped raining a little, and we made our way to Manhattan for an incredible Mediterranean dinner with a few of the most amazing people I've ever met. 

(Obviously the food was delicious, too.)

All throughout the night, I attached myself to my "Notes" app on my cell phone, and I jotted down things they said and advice they gave me. To be where they are is my dream, I soaked up every piece of that night in an effort to never forget it.

This is William. 
Somehow 9/11 became the  topic of conversation for a few minutes. He had a lot to say about it, but what I got the most out of that conversation was when he said, "I got off the train, and I was like 'Oh my god, what are they doing in the city'. It was a good 'America's not invincible' moment." It's hard to believe that a place that seems so intimidating, powerful, and unbreakable was hit so devastatingly. But, thankfully, as a country we support each other, and we've come back stronger from such a horrific event, and New York City is still perfect.

The host of the night, Bob O'neil, is very successful in the furniture business with the Aaron's. He has a place in New York City, and just got an apartment in Paris, but he said the city is still his favorite place. He and his wife are always traveling, but he said, "As soon as we come through the tunnels, we're finally alive again." I don't think he could've described the feeling any better--finally alive again. He's spot on with that one. All of the suggestions on how to obtain my goals in journalism and the advice on how to survive the city that I captured from conversations I had on this night will be at the top of my list of 'Things I Learned in NYC', and will be applied to every aspect of my life as soon as this plane lands.


Our hosts for the week were Phil (23) and Derreck (20). We stayed at their place in 18C in BKLYN AIR in downtown Brooklyn. They are two Georgia boys who had ambition and courage enough to risk everything, and leave the south to pursue their dreams in New York City. One day, with only a little money and a packed suitcase, they left their Georgia town not even knowing where they were going to sleep that night. Now, not even a full year later, they both have permanent jobs in the city, a luxury apartment, and are achieving their dreams one day at a time. 

Just as in The Girls in 3-B, same sex relationships flow just as freely in New York City as they do in Chicago. These two are engaged and just as happy as any couple I've ever spent time around (if not happier.) Barby discovered her femininity within her relationship with Ilene. 
Watching a person struggle to find themselves, and then finally seeing them satisfied when they rest in the arms of another person is a beautiful thing. 
Whether that person is wired exactly the same way as them, or completely different. 
I was inspired by these two, the risks they have taken, and the goals they have accomplished. I'm excited to see where life takes them in the future.

             
We ended the night after spending a little time on the 14th floor of the Library Hotel at Bookmarks on Madison Ave (such an amazing place!)



No comments:

Post a Comment